Christmas is celebrated on the 25th day of December each year. Christians across the world celebrate this special day in honor of the birth of their lord Jesus. Christians celebrate this special day by exchanging gifts, decorating Christmas trees, attending special ceremonies in church and sharing meals with family and friends. Children wait for Santa Claus to arrive and distribute gifts and candies. While this event brings for you joy and happiness and many lively moments with friends and family it may came out as a danger for your dogs and cats. Here are few risks associated with Christmas celebrations that can harm your dog.
Grapes and dried fruits
Grapes and their dried products like raisins important part of Christmas however they are harmful for dogs. Ingestion of even a small quantity can cause severe kidney failure. Also the chocolate coated raisins contain added risk of chocolate toxicity.
All types of alcohol are part of Christmas dinners. Dogs can have side effects similar to human beings if alcohol is consumed in excess. Dogs can become wobbly and drowsy and in severe cases, there is high probability of low body temperature and low blood sugar. Dogs may help themselves to any unattended alcohol left lying around over Christmas, so ensure it’s always out of their reach.
Chocolates and candies are widely consumed during this festive season. These chocolates and candies contain artificial sweetener called xylitol which is poisonous to dogs. It can stimulate the release of insulin in the body, resulting in low blood sugar and sometimes liver damage. Signs of poisoning can be rapid or delayed, and include vomiting, lethargy and convulsions. So make sure all chocolates and candies are out of reach of your dogs and cats.
A Christmas tree is a source of joy during the Christmas season however it can pose dangerous hazards to your dog. It contains needles. If your dog chews or swallows Christmas tree needles, it can cause serious consequences as they are not digestible by dogs. They can also can obstruct or puncture her gastrointestinal track. Christmas trees are generally decorated by small lights and bulbs. Some types of bulbs can get very hot and burn your dog. Secondly chewing on electric wires also can cause pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs) which can be fatal. People also use artificial plastic flowers and ornaments to decorate trees. However if your swallowed by dog, it can create serious gastrointestinal blockage. Some ornaments may be lethal depending upon the materials or chemicals used to create them.
Poinsettia, holly and mistletoe are common Christmas plants which are used widely during this festive season however it might not be all rosy for your dog. Poinsettia, if swollen, can cause irritation in the mouth and stomach with overproduction of saliva and sometimes vomiting. Holly is considered as low toxic, but ingestion of holly berries may result in a stomach upset. Ingestion of European mistletoe plant may also result stomach upset.