Hot cross buns! one a penny, two a penny ……. and your dog

The Danger of feeding your Dog a Hot Cross Bun!


bakery-1367348_1280-225x300 Hot cross buns! one a penny, two a penny  ....... and your dogDog owners are being advised not to give their dogs Hot Cross Buns this Eastertime, as this popular snack could fatally poison them. This very dangerous treat contains ingredients that are toxic to our pets, such as nutmeg spice, lemon zest, sultanas and raisins.

Easter is one of the busiest periods for Veterinary services after Christmas, mainly due to the large amounts of hidden dangers in foods that your pets eat at this time. The majority of owners understand the risks and consequences of our loved dogs eating chocolate and especially Easter Eggs at this time of the year, but were you aware that a treat of a Hot Cross bun can cause serious health issues?

Health problems

Currants, sultanas, and raisins – including fresh grapes, are a definite no-go! Although no conclusive evidence has been produced to date, it’s understood that Mycotoxin is produced by mould, found in the grapes and is quite toxic if eaten by dogs.  Sultanas appear to be even more toxic than fresh grapes, due to their concentration of this product when the fruit is dried.

Symptoms can cause gastric upsets with salivation, diarrhea and severe vomiting, a possibility of fitting and increased heart rate, tremors and excessive itching, with more serious consequences of kidney failure. Look out for symptoms of decreased urination, increased signs of thirst and your dog appearing dull and under the weather.

What Quantity of Hot Cross Buns?

Each bun probably has around 20 raisins inside, which may not seem like much, but considering research has shown that it only takes a few grams to bring on serious toxicity, it’s vitally important that at Easter you keep your Hot Cross buns well away from your pets.

It’s not clear exactly what causes the toxic effects, but just one sultana, raisin or current can be toxic, so real caution should be taken with foods that contain them.

The reactions of dogs to dried fruit is relatively new, so veterinary research is still understanding why it may affect some dogs, yet not others, and how much they need to consume before symptoms arise.

Prompt Treatment

Dog owners who suspect that their pet has eaten dried fruit or grapes should not wait for any symptoms or signs to appear before contacting your veterinarian immediately. Treatment needs to be administered straight away before the toxins in the fruit can be digested. Your Vet will possibly induce vomiting and probably prescribe charcoal tablets, however, if symptoms have developed your dog may need to be placed on a drip and monitored at the surgery. As a rule, symptoms will begin to display between 6 to 24 hours after the dog has eaten any dried fruits. However, in some cases, the problems might not take effect for several days, which means that in more serious cases, kidney failure is a real issue.

Enjoy Easter time

While Easter is a fun time for all the family, the treats that we love to enjoy can present a real threat to our pets. Be aware at all times of what they are eating, to make sure they come to no harm.

Don’t think you’re being kind by sharing your Hot Cross buns or chocolate Easter Eggs with your pet, it’s not worth the risk of losing them– instead treat them to a pet-friendly alternative that they will enjoy just as much, otherwise, you might be in line for a very expensive Easter holiday.


(Visited 15 times, 1 visits today)