- This year’s event organised by HOWND® will raise funds for dog welfare charities
- It’s the 4th annual event when businesses welcome many dogs and their owners into the workplace
- Provides many positive benefits including wellbeing and employee productivity
What is Bring Your Dog to Work Day?
The event is organised as a way to raise much needed funds for dog and animal welfare charities. Businesses throughout the UK will encourage dog owners to take their pets into work for the day, regardless of their breed, size or shape, where the dogs will be offered an enthusiastic welcome. Businesses and Individuals will donate funds for their involvement, to benefit 2 chosen charities.
This year two charities are sponsored, All Dogs Matter and Animals Asia. Both are dedicated to the rescue of dogs and other animals that suffer needlessly, whether as stray dogs in the UK, or in the cruel animal farming industry in Vietnam and China. Both charities promote respect and compassion for all animals, while working to improve their environments.
The Benefits of Taking Part
There are several advantages to taking your dog to work, including the dog’s ability to increase job satisfaction, boost morale and to reduce workplace stress. The presence of a dog can improve the work environment, with some dogs sitting on their owners laps while they work at their desks. Other dogs may lie quietly or sit in on meetings and most of them will love being petted by your work colleagues, meeting new friends. Any non-pet co-workers will see the special bond you have with your dogs and could be inspired to adopt their own furry friend.
Considerations when taking your dog to work
Remember that there may be others in your work-place that are afraid of, or allergic to dogs, so you need to make certain considerations as you make plans to take your pooch with you.
- Make sure that your dog is socially adept and has good manners – you don’t want him jumping up at everyone he meets
- Keep him on the lead, or provide a barrier to prevent him wandering without you
- Dog-proof your workspace – remove your rubbish bin and tidy up any trailing cords
- Pack a doggy bag with all of his essentials for the day – poop bags, a bed, treats, toys, water and food dishes
- Ensure that he looks his best for work – treat him to a bath, groom his coat and remember to brush his teeth
How to take part – #BringYourDogToWorkDay
Join the 2017 bring Your Dog to Work Day either as an individual sponsor, or as a business. Individuals making a donation of £2 may submit a photo of their dog to the “Dog with a Job” picture gallery. As a company, for just a minimum donation of £50, the BYDTWD website will display, randomly through the day, a link to your website and your company’s logo, together with a mention on social media.
Share your favourite pics of your dogs at work on the day on social media #BringYourDogToWorkDay