Before you leave – a checklist for homeowners
So your suitcase is packed, your pets are clued up that you’re leaving them and plans are in place for their priority care and attention from Finchley Dog Walker. There are several points that we ask you to note, as you prepare to hand over the care of not only your much-loved pets to us but also your home.
Put together an information pack
It’s much easier if all of your information is stored together in a handy folder, perhaps with A4 plastic sheets inside. You can keep and add to this folder in years to come, providing very detailed information for your house sitter.
Your contact details
Please provide at least 2 contact telephone numbers, and an email address if you would like your house and pet sitter to send you regular updates. An alternative number of a friend or someone to contact in an emergency is also required, just in case we cannot make contact with you.
Please confirm your consent for allowing any visitors to your property in your absence. Please also inform us of any regular visitors we can expect such as the gardener or cleaner, so we are aware of their scheduled visits.
Rooms and contents out of bounds
We respect your privacy while house sitting, but ask that you make us aware of any rooms you don’t wish us to enter, or any items or appliances you don’t wish us to use.
Make others aware that you are leaving
It’s important that you let your neighbours know that you have a house sitter present during your absence, and likewise it’s advisable to inform your house insurance company.
Preparing your home
Common sense prevails here when you have someone else moving into your home while you are not present, but we would ask that you consider the following to make the interchange as smooth as possible, so there are no misunderstandings on either side.
- Store away your precious possessions – accidents do happen so it’s best to remove anything you value including breakables.
- Clean your home and garden – your house sitter has agreed to maintain your property in the same condition that they found it.
- Contents of your fridge – you may wish to remove any perishable food items or leave a note to let your house sitter know these items have been left for their consumption
- House security and remotes – make your house sitter aware of your house alarm system, and any remote controls you have for garage access if you store any cleaning or pet items in there.
- Clean linen and towels
- Spare keys – please leave details of a friend or neighbour who holds a spare set of keys to your property
- Wi-fi password and TV access instructions
- Garden tools and equipment – if garden care is included in your house sitter’s agreement, please leave grass cutter and other tools easily accessible and with full instructions for use
- Indoor plants – leave notes If these require any special care other than a watering
- Bird feeders – do you require these to be topped up during your absence, if so, please leave adequate supplies.
- Gas and Electric – please advise where the meters are for these utilities, and also the water turn off stop cock tap.
- Central Heating and Hot Water – please leave instructions for use
- Rubbish and Recycling – please supply details of days of collection
- You have completed your Pet Checklist detailing any special requirements for your pet’s care
That’s about it! If you’ve considered this list and made plans as best you can, you can go off on your holiday or weekend break, safe in the knowledge that your pet and house sitter has all the information they need to provide their best duty of care to your home and pets.