The Dangers of Valentine’s Day

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, many of us may be planning or expecting some special treatment from our loved ones, be it a bunch of fresh red roses or delicious chocolates. But for dog owners, these romantic treats also warn your pups, so make sure it’s not a toxic Valentine’s Day for your dog and read up on some of the hazards to be aware of.


Depositphotos_207902678_s-2019-300x300 The Dangers of Valentine’s Day

Roses have long been a standard Valentine’s Day present, but these thorny beauties can have a few dangers for dogs. The most obvious one is the thorns, which can cause pain and discomfort if your dog stands on one. But also, if your pup is prone to eating flowers, this can cause mouth pain, stomach upsets, and bowel obstruction if a lot of the flower head or stem is eaten.

Please check the Dog Trust list of toxic plants for your dog.


A nice alternative to roses, a bunch of lilies can look great on your mantelpiece, but they contain harmful toxins on the petals, leaves, pollen and even in the vase water that, if ingested by your dog, can cause an upset stomach. It’s worth knowing these flowers are highly toxic for cat owners, and exposure can cause severe kidney failure, so keep them well away from felines.


Most dog owners will already know that you shouldn’t feed chocolate to your dog, but whilst a few morsels shouldn’t cause too much harm, larger quantities and darker chocolate can spell out problems—the darker the chocolate, the higher the levels of theobromine, which is toxic to cats and dogs. If you have chocolates, it’s best to keep them stored away for you to enjoy yourself.

Chocolate Covered Raisins

Grapes, currants and sultanas also fall into the toxic category for pets, and if ingested, these fruits can cause severe stomach upset and, in extreme cases, kidney failure. So, as with the chocolates, it’s a good idea to keep them out of reach of all pets, especially dogs and cats.

Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans

A nice alternative for coffee and chocolate lovers can prove a deadly concoction for pets. These products contain high doses of caffeine and theobromine, poisonous to dogs and cats if ingested.

Xylitol Natural Sweetener

Whilst typically found in breath mints, chewing gums and sweets, the natural sweetener xylitol is also found in many baked goods, such as iced cupcakes. If you’re given some colourful-looking cakes or sweets, keep them out of reach from your dog as ingesting large amounts can cause a serious drop in blood sugar and, in severe cases, liver damage.

Whatever gifts you receive this Valentine’s Day, and no matter how much you want to share them with your four-legged friends, you should err on the side of caution and give them healthy doggy treats or a nice long dog walk instead and keep the flowers and chocolates out of harm’s way.

Please read our article on How to spend valentines with your dog.