Christmas Dangers You Probably Hadn’t Thought Of

advent-e835b50c2b_640The holidays are a fun time full of celebrations and good cheer, but it is important to consider how to best keep your four legged friends safe and happy through Christmas as well. Holidays present some dangers to our pets that don’t typically need consideration and it is important to safeguard things so your dog has a happy and healthy holiday as well.

Obvious dangers are the vast quantity of food and sweets around at this time that could cause some definite tummy troubles, as well as the dangers the Christmas tree itself can pose, but as a Finchley dog walker, I feel there are many overlooked dangers that should be addressed.

Holiday Plants

Many people are under the impression that holiday plants such as poinsettias and Christmas cactuses are dangerous to animals. While it is true they can cause some minor irritation of the mouth and other mild unpleasantness plants such as mistletoe and holly are actually far more dangerous.

If these plants are consumed your dog can become very ill, with symptoms such as vomiting, heart arrhythmia and diarrhoea as they are toxic to your beloved pooch.

Alcohol

A silly houseguest may think your pooch would enjoy a nip, or the pup could stumble upon an unattended glass, but steps should be taken to avoid this because alcohol is dangerous to dogs. You should never allow your pet to ingest alcohol because it depresses the nervous system and can be quite harmful. Symptoms of a dog who has consumed alcohol are dizziness, disorientation, tremors, seizures and even coma to name a few.

Electrical Cords and Light Strands

Some animals, especially dogs are chewers and this annoying habit can become quite dangerous with strings of lights and the abundance of electrical cords around to power all of the holiday decorations. Chewing electrical cords can cause burns of the mouth, difficulty in breathing and even cardiac arrest. Stringed lights present their own problem because in addition to having electricity in them the glass bulbs can be very damaging to a dog’s mouth and stomach.

Tinsel and Ribbon

Glittering tinsel on the tree and curled ribbons on gifts are staples of the holiday season, but can mean big trouble for your precious pooch. Avoid the temptation to make a pretty tinsel collar as this can be a choking hazard, as well if ingested tinsel and ribbon can be very harmful. If swallowed tonsil and lengths of ribbon can cause obstructions in the body and lacerations in the digestive tract.

Take care of your dog this holiday season with the above advice, and you’ll save yourself a very upsetting and perhaps very expensive Christmastime.