Christmas Decorations and the Dangers to Dogs

Christmas is a time for family – and your dog is a hugely important part of that: wintery walks, a Christmas bone, the happy sight of your pet curled up in front of the fire – it’s all part of the magic. Don’t forget though, that while he’s part of your family, many of the things which make the season so special for humans can be dangerous for your dog. Take Christmas decorations – sparkly, delicate, transforming your home – but also a temptation that could end up with an unwelcome visit to the vet for your dog. That doesn’t mean you have to stop having fun, but it does mean taking a few sensible precautions to make sure your dog stays safe when the decorations come out. Here are some tips from the Finchley Dog Walker to make sure your Christmas decorations don’t cause harm to your dog this Christmas.

Hang your decorations safely and out of reach

However high you hang your decorations, there’s always the possibility that they will fall on the floor for some reason or other. Check your ornaments before hanging them and replace any wire or metal hooks with a loop of string tied in a knot – if your inquisitive (or greedy) dog does get one in his mouth, removing hooks means they won’t get them caught on their mouths or insides and even an uninterested dog won’t get them accidentally caught on his tail or on an ear if he brushes past.

Tree decorations

Avoid glass decorations – if they fall and break, your pet could cut his paws badly. Even worse is the scenario where your dog thinks he’s found a great new ball and starts chewing. Broken glass in the mouth? It doesn’t bear thinking about. Remember also that however much he might want it, chocolate is no good for dogs, so keep any edible ornaments well out of reach. Probably best not to hang them on the tree at all – even dog-friendly treats – if there’s a chance he may be so excited – and determined to reach them – that he knocks or pulls the whole thing over. Look for and use decorations that are labelled “non-toxic”.

The hidden worry of snow globes

Unfortunately, some of these fascinating snow globes, the ones you shake and snow appears to fall down onto a festive scene, are imported from countries not governed by safety standards. Some of these actually contain antifreeze, which we now can be fatal for our pets if ingested.

Candles can be fire hazards

Although not many people actually light candles on their Christmas trees, as in days gone by, many homes now have “aroma” candles and tea lights around the living room. These give off delightful perfumes, but they are also a fire hazard when your pet is around. Our curious friends can reach out a paw or take a sniff, with a resulting nasty burn. There is also the risk of a candle being knocked over as the dog brushes past.

The dangers of sparkly tinsel

Think twice before adding tinsel, as blocked intestines and seasonal surgery instead of that bracing Christmas morning walk and wrestling with the turkey is unlikely to make it a happy Christmas. That doesn’t mean you can’t dress the tree up – why not tie on ribbons in festive colours as an alternative, keeping your dog safer too.

Christmas Plants

What is lovelier than a festive Poinsettia plants, or mistletoe hanging over the doorway? While these traditional Christmas plants might look eye-catching, they’re all rather toxic if eaten by our pets. Other poisonous plants include ferns, amaryllis and holly and of course, sap from the Christmas tree pine needles. If you do decide you need this plants in your home this festive season, ensure that they are placed well out of your pet’s reach.

Of course this doesn’t mean you can’t decorate your home to welcome in Christmas – but take a little care to keep your pet safe too.

 

 


A letter to Santa Paws | 12 days of Christmas | Christmas Decorations | Christmas Plants | Christmas Dinner for Dogs