Mothers’ Day gifts that may pose a danger to our pets

When we are all spoiling our lovely Mothers and Mums this weekend, remember that your dog is likely to be at home too and in on the action, investigating the wrapped presents, sniffing the flowers and attempting to eat the delicious chocolates. As responsible pet owners, we need to be aware of the dangers that certain plants and food stuff can present to our canine and feline friends. This isn’t, of course, a comprehensive list of possible Mothers’ Day Gifts that pose a threat, but it’s a guide for more common risks.

Chocolates

There are many different types of chocolate gifts, solid bars of dark chocolate, boxes of assorted continental types and even chocolate cakes that every mother is likely to enjoy at some point, however, the cocoa that is used to make these chocolate goodies, contains theobromine, a compound that is very toxic to our dogs. Obviously, it all depends on the amount of chocolate that your pet consumes, but dark chocolate, baking chocolate and cocoa powder contain more theobromine than the milk chocolate variety.

Never offer any chocolate items to your dog, and make sure that they are well out of their reach. Symptoms of toxicity include hyperactivity, excitement, restlessness and trembling. Your dog may begin to vomit and have increased thirst, heart rate and urinate more frequently. Call your vet immediately, before seizures, muscle tremors and even death occur.

Lily flowers

Although more harmful to cats than to dogs, all parts of the lily flower are highly toxic, even the petals, stamens and leaves. Mothers’ Day is when more pets are likely to be in the vicinity of lily flowers, so take extra care, and if you must give flowers as a gift, choose another variety.

Perfume

Your mum may be fond of Chanel No 5, but your dog much prefers the smell of rotting food and other waste that he finds outside. Take note though, that your dog can be affected if they come into direct contact with perfume, or worse still if they drink any. Perfumes usually contain ethanol and essential oils, both of which may be toxic to your pet. Serious nervous system problems, abdominal pain and vomiting can all result.

Fragranced Candles

Of course, we all love the aroma of a scented candle or wax melt, but apart from the chance of your dog’s wagging tail knocking it over when lit, there are many toxic chemicals that these products are made from, that are not good for your dog. Candle wax can be made from paraffin wax or petroleum waste, Acetaldehyde, Benzene and Toluene are all components of decorative candles that you must certainly keep well away from your pets.

Cakes and biscuits

Who would think that a small piece of coffee or currant cake would harm your dog, yet these patisserie products can contain caffeine, which can be fatal if consumed by a canine, or raisins and grapes, that can cause kidney failure.

Alcohol

When you’re celebrating Mothers’ Day with a glass of bubbly, keep your drink well out of your dog’s reach. Alcohol intake can lead to both neurological and metabolic problems that can lead to breathing problems, vomiting, coma or death.

Take the right precautions when choosing your gift this Mothers’ Day, and make sure that your celebrations are enjoyed by everyone, including your lovely pets.

Consider a dog walker

As well as taking your mum breakfast in bed, cooking the dinner you could consider either taking the dog for a walk yourself (if you are old enough) or ask an adult to look into hiring a dog walker to give your mum a break