Here are a couple of recipes to tickle their taste buds. You could even make a batch of them to pop in their stocking!
Turkey and Cranberry Bones
420g wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
140g cooked turkey, chopped
120g dried cranberries
1 tablespoon olive oil
235ml reduced salt chicken stock, or as needed
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly grease two baking trays, or line them with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together until thoroughly combined then stir in the turkey and cranberries.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, and then drop the egg into the centre. Next, add the olive oil and about half of chicken stock.
- Mix into a soft dough. If mixture is too dry, mix in more chicken stock, about 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is easy to work with.
- Knead dough on a floured surface for a minute or two.
- Roll the dough out thinly and cut into bone shapes. Or whatever you fancy!
- Bake until the treats turn brown, about 25 minutes. Turn the oven off, and leave the dog treats in the oven an additional 30 minutes to dry out. Store dog treats in the fridge.
Yes your dog can have gingerbread men just like humans!
60ml Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Honey
360g Whole Wheat Flour
1/2-Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 Tablespoon finely chopped Fresh Ginger
- Get two large bowls. In one bowl combine the 250ml of water, olive oil, molasses and honey. In the second bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, cloves and finely chopped ginger.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Add the extra water if needed to form a firm dough. Mix until all are combined.
- Divide the dough into two, wrap and refrigerate for minimum 3.5 hours.
- Once chilled, remove dough from fridge and roll out dough thinly.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C (350 F).
- Use a gingerbread man cutter to cut out the biscuits. Place on baking tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Enjoy making these treats for your pets and don’t forget to get the whole family involved. Making treats for your pooch this Christmas can be just as much fun as making them for friends and family.