Christmas is a time for eating and drinking far too much. This ranges from eating too much Christmas dinner such as turkey, stuffing, roasted vegetables and gravy, followed by Christmas pudding and mince pies in the evening.
After all, Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without mince pies, pigs in blankets, sausage rolls and other party food.
It is always hard to enjoy any food without your furbaby looking at you with those longing eyes or putting their head on your lap. However, it is important to be aware that most if not all Christmas treats that we enjoy at Christmas are usually toxic to our dogs.
We hope this article will help provide you with an insight into Christmas Toxic foods for dogs and what should be kept out of the way of your dog.
Mince pies – can my dog eat mince pies?
Never give dogs mince pies. The mincemeat is made up of fruit that contains raisins. Raisins can lead to our dogs suffering from acute kidney failure and, in rare cases, lead to death.
This not only applies to raisins but also currants, sultanas and grapes
As well as being toxic die to raisins, mince pies are also high in sugar and fat, which can lead to an upset digestive system, so you see they are bad for our dogs (and a lot of humans, especially if you have diabetes or are on a low potassium diet)
If you haven’t been put of mince pies yet, then remember they usually come in a small foil case which can provide a choking hazard for our curious dogs as they
If you are opting for the low sugar option, then these contain xylitol which is an artificial sweetener that is poisonous to dogs
So the short answer to can dogs eat mince pies is most definitely NOT. However, Tesco do a dog friendly mince pie
Help my dog has eaten a mince pie
If your dog does manage to get hold of a mince pie, it is important you contact your vet as soon a possible. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action depending on just how much they have eaten
You also need to keep your eye open for any of the following symptoms
- vomiting and diarrhoea
- An increase in thirst
- an increase in drooling
- lack of appetite
- wobbling when they walk
Other Christmas food dangers
Rawhide treats and bones are very common this time of year in Christmas stockings and other places. Whilst rawhide is not deadly for your dog, and we highly recommend you read our article on why you shouldn’t give a dog rawhide.