Dog Friendly Christmas Dinners

dogrestaurantOur dogs are part of our family and naturally enough we want to involve them in our celebrations. Much of what we eat at Christmas is suitable for your dog but there are few things to watch out for when dishing up. Turkey bones, grapes, dried fruit such as raisins and dates, chocolate (unless it’s canine-friendly theobromine free chocolate), macadamia nuts and alcohol can all cause serious health problems for dogs so need to be kept out of their food bowl.

That still leaves lots you can share if you don’t want to buy a tin of ready-prepared Christmas dinner dog food.

Starters

Starters such as pate, smoked salmon or prawns are fine in moderation. Pate is a high fat food so can upset your dog’s tummy in large quantities.

Main Course

Your dog will definitely want to join in enjoying the roast. Make sure the meat you serve is free from bones, which can shatter and lodge in his throat and avoid adding gravy as it can contain onion. Other accompaniments that can contain onion include stuffing and bread sauce. But feel free to offer cooked potatoes, vegetables and maybe some cranberry sauce.

Christmas Pudding and Mince Pies

We all want some figgy pudding. Except dogs. Dogs can’t eat grapes, dried grapes (raisins and sultanas) or dates so Christmas pudding is instantly a no-go. If you want your dog to feel included you can make some doggy mince pies replacing the mincemeat with dog food.

Don’t forget that Christmas cake, stollen and Panettone all contain dried fruit too.

Cheeseboard

  • If your dog is used to having cheese he’ll love to share a little bit at the end of the meal but as a high fat, lactose containing food if he’s not had it before it might upset his tummy a little.

Chocolate

Buy some doggy chocolate but don’t be tempted to pass him the after-eights. Chocolate contains a toxic compound called theobromine and can make your dog very ill.

Nuts

Nuts are potential choking hazards so shouldn’t be offered whole. Some nuts such as Brazil nuts and macadamias are actually toxic and can cause vomiting, tremors and hypothermia if ingested so keep the nut bowl well out of harm’s way.

Alcohol

Don’t be tempted to share your tipple. Dogs’ kidneys can’t process alcohol and they can get ill very easily.