Related article: How to Tell if Your Dog is Pining
With summer fast approaching and the long school holidays many people have already booked a nice holiday for a couple of weeks. Then the alarm bells go and they you suddenly realise that they need someone to look after the dog
Essentially you have three options a petsitter, friends or family or boarding
If you decide to go down the boarding route then below are a few tips to take into consideration
- When looking for a dog walker, pet sitter or boarding place then it is best to try and find someone that has been recommended to you either by your dog trainer, a fellow dog owner, a friend or even a dog sitter who cannot help you at that time. One place to start looking is narps uk
- Make sure that both you and your dog meet the person and that your k9 friend likes them
- If possible make sure as well as the mobile number you have a landline number (I know not everyone has a land line now days). It is also good to have an address. If they are not willing to give it to you then please think carefully about employing that person.
- Make sure you ask to see there insurance. .At the end of the day once the dog is in their care they are liable if your dog causes an accident or injures someone.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for references and follow them up
- Make sure that when your dog is in their care that they put I.D. tags with their mobile number on, name, house number and postcode.
- Do ask where your dog will be sleeping etc
- Don’t be afraid to ask as many questions as you want to. After all, you need to feel happy and relaxed that your four legged friend is going to be treated as one of the family.
- Ideally you should provide the food as a sudden change can cause upset stomachs.
- Make sure that your dogs vaccinations are up to date – including Kennel Cough.
- Make sure that the dog sitter has got contact numbers for you abroad as well as a contact in England.
- In the event of an emergency your sitter will need to go straight to a vet to get treatment. Discuss this possibility. If vets fees are incurred whilst you are away think about how this can be managed.
This article first appeared on Tip Top Dog School Blog. If you need any help with dog training then I can highly recommend Sue