Autumn Dangers to Your Dog

 

dog-autumn_0As summer drifts in to colourful autumn days and nights there are some risks to your dog that you should be aware of that could compromise your dog’s health.   It is important that you care for your pet properly during this time and know about the possible dangers lurking outdoors.

Halloween and fireworks can frighten your dog so be sure you keep your pet close and safe during those times.

http://tiptopdogschool.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/halloween-safety-tips/

http://tiptopdogschool.wordpress.com/category/prepare-your-dog-for-fireworks/

Here are some other autumnal risks that your furry friend might be subject to:

Fleas and mites – Fleas can be a menace all year round and due to central heating will be attacking your dog even in the depths of winter! Consider treating the house with a suitable product. Ask your vet to recommend a good product – treatment will can provide cover for several months on end.

Tiny harvest mites are very difficult to see, but pay special attention to your pet’s tummy, ears, eyes and paws during the autumn months.
Both fleas and mites can cause infections and other problems.

Pesticides – Many people use household poisons to keep rodents and insects at bay. If your pet ingests one of these highly toxic products it could produce illness or even death. Beware, in your own home of where you place these products and when walking your dog, be sure you watch him carefully.

Children’s toys – children may leave their tiny toys and toxic craft material such as glue, magic markers etc. laying around so try to keep a close eye on this and try to get the children to tidy up after themselves!
If your pup chews and/or swallows one of these items he could experience an upset tummy or even more serious – a blockage.

Mushrooms and other outdoor hazards – Be aware of the growing threat of poisonous mushrooms during the autumn months. Should you spot your dog eating a mushroom and are unsure if it is poisonous or not, contact your vet immediately – better to be safe than sorry.

Conkers. Serious cases of poisoning are rare – ingestion can cause marked gastro-intestinal signs – drooling, retching, vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pai

Antifreeze is toxic and has a sweet taste and can attract dogs so do be vigilant and do not let your dog drink from puddles in car parks etc.

Dogs must have access to fresh drinking water. If you also have an outdoor water bowl it could possibly freeze so keep a close eye on it.

Older pets – just like older humans, aging pets may have developed arthritic joints that make them more sensitive to the cold weather. Think about getting them a dog coat and check that your walks are not too long for them.

Remember If you employ a dog walker or dog sitter to help with your pet(s) be sure they’re aware of the hazards also.